Photo by David Livingston/Getty Images
After John Leguizamo slammed casting “Non-Latin” James Franco as the recently announced Fidel Castro Alina Cubaproducer Martinez Ophelan pleaded with the Colombian-born actor to expand the definition of Latino.
“A man like John Leguizamo has historically been revered by Hispanics since the ’90s as one of the earliest Latino actors in America. It is a blind attack with no content related to this project.
The reality of the ignorant piece falls within his statements suggesting his personal views on being “Latino”. This is because land and inhabited areas do not determine a person’s pedigree or genetics. “
Further, Ofhelan stressed in a statement. hollywood reporter This movie is not about Fidel. It’s about his daughter, Alina Fernandez, whose unique storyline is eccentric over criticism of Leguizamo’s secondary casting decision. Arena ostensibly supports:
“I think he should forget about himself and admit that this story is about a historically significant Latino female immigrant living in America and is led by a Latino woman. Just an underdog doing it. Please understand that it’s a bit disappointing to see our work being attacked by someone who claims to be a leader in the Latin community.”
Ofhelan isn’t the only one who feels defensive about Franco playing Castro. Fans point out that Franco and Castro are descended from neighboring European countries (Portugal and Spain, respectively). Additionally, they stated that “Latino” is not a race, blocking the “whitewashing” accusation. Because there are black Latinos, indigenous Latinos, and white Latinos, among other things. Castro probably fell at the end of those categories.Malcolm X called him “The only white person I really liked”
Finally, they criticized Hollywood’s standards of ethnic chastity as unethical and unacceptable. This is because Leguizamo himself fails at playing Asian and European (not to mention female) characters.
No release date for Alina Cubabut if John of Columbia The way he does it, movies either die in production or are gone. james of america.
- An Action Thriller Subjected to an Awful Remake Gets Trafficked Onto the Netflix Charts
- Donald Trump Coincidentally Announces His 2024 Campaign on the 30th Anniversary of ‘Home Alone 2’
- One Family Heirloom Has More Kills Than Any Other Lightsaber in ‘Star Wars’
- ‘Wakanda Forever’ Producer Opens Up About Choosing The Next Black Panther
- Namor Stans Lock Horns With Aquaman Loyalists Over Which Underwater Ruler Is More Badass
- The Least Popular Part of ‘Black Panther 2’ Appears to Have Been Settled On
- The Haunting Breakthrough Hit for a Future Horror Icon Makes Evil Eyes on Streaming
- Disney Has Found Yet Another Classic Franchise to Reboot as James Cameron Shares Foul-Mouthed Preview of ‘Avatar 2′
- ‘Wakanda Forever’ Cuts LGBTQ+ Scene For Release in Middle East
- ‘Gears of War’ Fans Rally Around Dave Bautista With Demands for Netflix